Main Image

Main Image
READY TO START

Here I am ready to start my third bodice.  I have over 400 whitau (prepared muka whenu for warp threads), 26 lengths of cornflour blue organza, two extra organza lengths that have been sewn into piping lengths for the whenu tapiri (outside edges), multiple aho lengths (weft threads) at 240cm each and in true dressmaking style, a paper pattern of the shape I am hoping the bodice will be. I don't mind saying it's a little bit nervewracking!  Being a thinker, I have so many different ideas racing around in my head it is hard to pin down one line of action and commit to it.  Just when I think I have decided what I want to do, there always seems to be a better idea that comes along!  The bodice will be made on a wooden frame that will be clamped to the kitchen bench unit.  It has a row of nails along it that the piece of work will fit onto after I have done the first row.  The first row is called the aho tapu (sacred thread) and is very important as it sets the foundation for the whole piece.  And we all know if the foundation of anything is not set right, then what we build on top of it does not have much hope of going right.

I have decided on knotting my whenu at the ends to keep things tidy as I work - especially since this is a project that will take a few months and have a lot of handling.  I am using a mawhitiwhiti pattern around the bottom of the bodice and will repeat it again in other places.  It reminds me of cross stitch patterns or hardanger embroidery.  I am placing the organza at regular intervals to give a light and delicate look to the bodice.  I really want it to have an ethereal appearance i.e. light, airy, extremely delicate, refined, heavenly or celestial.  

Each bodice so far has been symbolic of the therapeutic journey with the red and natural one being about relationships with other people (more about this later), the ti kouka and korari one being about our relationship with the land/our environment and this one is going to be symbolic of being at peace with ourselves and with God.