Main Image

Main Image
PULLING IT ALL TOGETHER

Right from the start I have wanted the bodice to continue right up to the shoulders.  I have seen lots of bodices that are strapless and lots that are halter neck but the idea I had in my head (and hopefully to meet the criteria of being innovative in my work) was to have some kind of collar to join the front to the back.  When all the whatu rows had nearly been completed I tried it on one of my daughters to get a feel for what this collar might need to look like.  I decided I would make it as a separate piece first then whatu the fronts and back to it.  This is mostly what I did.  I worked two rows of whatu on the collar (measuring it to the width I wanted it to be) then on the third row, I included the centre back into the whatu as well.  I then did another row of whatu on the outside of the collar to hold it firmly.  The front pieces were also attached to the collar by a raranga technique of weaving over two, under two (known as torua).  Then the ends were finished off with a row of whatu on the inside to hold firm.  So pleased with it all!