Main Image

Main Image
FOUND MY AHO


So I had decided to make a muka bodice for my body of work for the degree.  In my mind, I have been practising with different shapes, styles and ideas.  But after showing my tutor the red and natural harakeke bodice she has suggested that I include it in my body of work.  That came as a bit of a shock to me - mainly because I made it thinking it was just a practise and no one would really see it.  I have perfectionist tendencies (which is crucial if I was a brain surgeon), but sometimes it gets in the way because I have very high expectations of myself.  If I had known it was going to be handed in, I would have taken more care with it!!  Oh well . . . it's good learning for me not to take everything so seriously.  So now I am thinking I will make three, maybe four, bodices.  But the muka one will be the main one.  

In my mind I can see the beautiful shiny muka with a soft muted colour - probably blue, but very pale and giving an almost monochromatic look.  Traditionally in weaving the aho thread (or the weft to us dressmakers) is muka as well, but because I want to celebrate my sewing background, I had decided to use an embroidery thread. Imagine my delight then, when Julie gifts me a crocheted top that had got caught in the washing machine and ruined.  It is a beautiful pearly grey/blue - exactly what I had been thinking of.  I sat down in front of the tv and unravelled someone's beautiful handiwork.  Got me thinking about who had made it.  I love the fact that we can make something beautiful out of something that others might throw away.  Preloved and upcycled.  Very exciting!